The Fund in Detail and other product material will be updated in due course. Provisions of the registered rules and policy documents will prevail.
Employees Travelling or Residing Outside RSA
The Insurers provides group insurance for qualifying employees of South African employers, who are physically present in the Republic of South Africa (RSA). The arrangement includes:
- RSA citizens that are employed or contracted by an RSA company or subsidiary; and
- foreign nationals (including expatriates) employed or contracted by an RSA company or subsidiary.
|Employees working for any foreign company, including citizens employed or contracted by a subsidiary of an RSA company in a foreign country, are not covered as our insurers are not licensed to offer insurance in foreign countries.|
Group risk cover can continue if an employee (employed by the local company) travels outside RSA (on a temporary basis) or resides outside RSA on a permanent basis, subject to the following conditions:
- Cover and premiums will continue for a period of 6 months, at the same level as before these members started working outside the RSA.
- All payments to and from the Insurers will be in RSA currency.
- For extension of cover after the 6 months, and annually thereafter, the employer may request, in writing, an extension on the period of insurance after which new conditions (if applicable) will apply.
A schedule of these members is required indicating the following:
- The country in which the insured is physically present.
- Nature of work responsibilities, and
- The expected period of stay in the relevant country
Crucial to Note:
- These members must remain on the local payroll.
- Benefit payments will only be paid into a RSA bank account held in the name of the beneficiary or employee.
- The Insurers reserve the right to have the final assessment of disability claims done locally.
- The normal territorial limitations with regard to claims in payment will apply.
|Please note: The Policyholder (i.e., the employer) must ensure that an individual employee that travels or resides in a foreign country is legally permitted, under the specific foreign country’s applicable laws, to be insured under a Sanlam group insurance policy, and have applied for the necessary permission from the relevant foreign authority (if required).|
Conditions relating to Flexible Life insurance
Our Insurers have made the following changes to our flex offering from 1 October 2021:
- The maximum of 15x for core cover and flex cover are reduced to an overall maximum of 10x.
- The age from which flex benefits are medically fully underwritten decreased from 55 to 50 years.
- All new flex arrangements will be subject to the revised conditions listed above.
Universal Education Protector Insurance
The benefit provided by Sanlam Group Risk was revamped to the benefit of our members. The changes will include revised definitions, increased benefit maximums, a minimum allowance benefit and rule changes. The changes will apply from 1 January 2022. More information here.